On March 6th 2019, Eunomia Research & Consulting released a new report which examines the economic and employment impacts of New York State’s deposit return system. After examining the impact of, and the jobs created by the current system, the report identifies the economic and employment benefits resulting from a widening in scope of the system as well as an increase in the deposit to 10-cents.
Some key findings from the report include:
- Direct jobs created: 3,275;
- Direct, indirect and induced jobs created: 5,726;
- Commodity value of deposit material: $55m;
- Value of unclaimed deposits, 80% of which goes to the state: $134m;
- Gross Value Add to the economy: $272m; and
- Tax revenue: $14m.
As a supplement to this report, Eunomia also released a report titled “Bottle Bill Expansion: The Numbers Behind Governor Cuomo’s Bottle Bill Proposal.” This report graphically illustrates the scale and impact of the Governor’s proposed changes to New York’s bottle bill.